Mayco's Duncan Luster - Mother of Pearl - 0.5oz
SKU: OG8031 Brand: Mayco
|OG8031||14 in stock||While supplies last||$7.54|
*Back orders will be placed for order quantities exceeding that of on-hand inventory.
Coverage: 1 coat
Food Safe: Yes, when fired
Can only be sent UPS or freight.
How to use Mother-of-Pearl
1. Be sure that the surface of your piece is free of dust, skin oils and lotions to ensure proper adhesion. Wipe surfaces with rubbing alcohol prior to applying the overglaze (except when used over crackle glazes.).
2. Always apply with a brush that is designated solely for use with Mother of Pearl to prevent contamination.
3. Do not stir or shake glaze.
4. Place a small amount of overglaze on a glazed palette.
5. For a swirled look, swirl on 1 coat, overlapping strokes.
6. For a smooth look, brush on all strokes in the same direction.
7. Correct application should produce a light blue tint.
8. Clean brush in Essence and let dry.
9. Overglazed ware can be fired while it is still wet. The kiln must be clean, well-ventilated (do not overload) and follow a normal firing schedule. Do not touch wet decoration and handle as little as possible until ware is fired to avoid smudging.
10. Stilt and fire Mother of Pearl to shelf cone 020.
QUESTIONS & ANSWERSAsk a Question
Will this work at a cone 10 fire? Thank you
No, lusters are about Cone 018. (Remember 0 is like a negative sign, think: Cone -18) That is lower than lowfire, lower temp than most other pottery processes.
Is this glaze transparent? Will the the color of the base glaze show through the luster glaze?
Mother-of-Pearl is a metallic compound that is applied as a final finish over fired glazes that are compatible with overglazes. Mother-of-Pearl is a translucent overglaze with a lustrous iridescence, and creates an iridescent look when properly applied and fired. Its appearance is determined by the glaze that the luster is applied over (applied over gloss glaze = shiny overglaze; applied over matte glaze = dull overglaze). For ease of application, each brush-on overglaze is tinted with its own special color. Mother-of-Pearl has a blue tint. Use Mayco’s White Handled OB-9011 1/4 Shader Mother-of-Pearl Brush.
What cone is this glaze fired to?
It should be fired to cone 020 (1180 F).