*Back orders will be placed for order quantities exceeding that of on-hand inventory.
Cone Firing Range: 020
Coverage: 1 coat
Food Safe: Yes, when fired
Not Microwave safe
This product is only nontoxic after firing.
Work in a well-ventilated area when applying to your piece (1 coat).
Can only be sent UPS or freight.
Mother-of-Pearl is a metallic compound that is applied as a final finish over fired glazes that are compatible with overglazes.
This translucent luster creates an iridescent look when properly applied and fired.
Its appearance is determined by the glaze that the luster is applied over (gloss glaze, shiny luster, matte glaze, dull luster).
For ease of application, each luster is tinted with its own special color. Mother-of-Pearl has a blue tint.
How to use Mother-of-Pearl
1. Be sure that the surface of your piece is free of dust, skin oils and lotions to ensure proper adhesion. Wipe surfaces with rubbing alcohol prior to applying the overglaze (except when used over crackle glazes.).
2. Always apply with a brush that is designated solely for use with Mother of Pearl to prevent contamination.
3. Do not stir or shake glaze.
4. Place a small amount of overglaze on a glazed palette.
5. For a swirled look, swirl on 1 coat, overlapping strokes.
6. For a smooth look, brush on all strokes in the same direction.
7. Correct application should produce a light blue tint.
8. Clean brush in Essence and let dry.
9. Overglazed ware can be fired while it is still wet. The kiln must be clean, well-ventilated (do not overload) and follow a normal firing schedule. Do not touch wet decoration and handle as little as possible until ware is fired to avoid smudging.
10. Stilt and fire Mother of Pearl to shelf cone 020.